Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fashion Confusion

Yesterday I asked my husband to take me to the Walmart.  Something weird ALWAYS happens when we go to Walmart.  This time it was something that I just can't seem to shake.

The woman in the denim jumpsuit.

The state of fashion in 2011 is confusing for someone like me.  Jumpsuits and anything one-piece (that isn't a dress) are an odd creation.  I don't dislike it, in fact I own a little one-piece strapless shorts romper. Nevertheless, I am still confused.

First of all, I think it is a difficult look to pull off.  You have to have a certain body type and the jumper/romper/onesie has to be cut just right.  Otherwise you risk looking like an over-grown baby or like this....
 
Second, head to toe denim is just a hard look.  A darker wash seems easier than a lighter wash.  And shorts and/or short sleeves keep you from looking like a convict or some kind of "worker guy" as my boys would describe it.


Third, is this 1970?  The thing about the lady in the denim jumpsuit that really had me going is this: I couldn't figure out  if she was really fashionable (shopping at Walmart) or just a throwback.  Everything old seems to be new again and it is tough to judge from a side angle.  I sort of chased her down (fast walking) and checked out her shoes, hair and bag.  Turns out that she was just wearing an ancient 1970's light washed denim jump suit.  Accidentally, almost fashionable, and certainly distracting!  A testament to why I should save my clothes.

No comments: